Timely Requests:Fall/Winter/Spring Worship Schedule: We have three services:
English at 8:30 AM and 11:00 AM, and Spanish at 1:00 PM.
Sunday School times: English (children) at 9:40 AM and (adult) at 9:46 AM, Spanish (children) at 1:15 PM.2017 Benevolence Designees at St. Mark's are: Q1 - ELCA Disaster Appeal; Q2 - St. John's Lutheran Church (for the refugee family they've accepted); Q3 - Metro D.C. Synod, ELCA; and Q4 - ELCA World Hunger.Attention High School Seniors! If you are a member of St. Mark's who is a graduating High School Senior, please contact Mary Anderson so you may receive a quilt from the Quilts and More group ... Congratulations!Youth Choir Concert Opportunity: We have an opportunity to host the Normandale Lutheran Church Youth Choir (40 singers in grades 7-12) for worship and an evening concert at St. Mark's on Sunday, June 11... Can you host one or more of these youth? Learn more here...Vacation Bible School, "Mighty Fortress" will be held July 30-August 3. beginning with dinner at 5:30 PM and ending by 8:00 PM each night. Learn more HERE>>Flower Ministry: After each Sunday, the Flower Committee puts together smaller arrangements from the altar flowers. A dedicated team consisting of Sandy Lind, Lance Quesenberry, and Bob and Carla Yock deliver these to members who cannot come to church. Want to help? contact Sandy Lind or Lance Quesenberry.Stephen Ministries: Learn more about who we are and what we do HERE>> or contact one of our leaders, Debbie Griffes or Steve Hendrickson.ANTICIPATION! The Small Catechism of Martin Luther: St. Mark's is providing a copy for every St. Mark's family... and they are here! Please read on HERE!Rick Steves' "Luther and the Reformation" Special: Click HERE to go to Rick Steves' website where he offers free streaming views of the PBS special!Counters Needed! Counters are needed to help count and record weekly offerings. Counters work in teams and are scheduled about once every other month. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel preferred. Please contact Ellie Schwarze at 703-354-8896 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to offer your services.Support for Caroline Furnace: An anonymous donor will match contributions designated for the 60th anniversary in any multiples of $60! Learn more here>>
Military Packages Collection: This Sunday, April 30th ... Our April recipient will be Jeff Darden, deployed currently in Baghdad. He was suggested by Lisa Ryan--Lisa and her husband, Tim, have both been recipients of our packages when they were deployed. When we asked for suggestions of what they need/want, he replied with the most wonderful letter, and , with his permission, we are including most of the text HERE ... In summary, here is what they need: beef jerky, toothpaste, floss, hand sanitizer, Q-tips, baby wipes, fingernail clippers, cough drops, and, of course, homemade baked goods!
We're always looking for names for recipients for May and beyond. Please let Mary or Gerald Eskelund or Gayle Parsons know of any deployed person who would like to get packages. If you can give us their email address in addition to their regular mail address, that would be wonderful. We will try to contact them to see if they have any particular needs or likes. Thank you for your always-generous support!Blood Drive: The Life Center is teaming with other churches in the Springfield area to host a blood drive. It will take place on Sunday, April 30th, from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM, at Springfield Christian Church, 5407 Backlick Road, Springfield. There is a signup sheet on The Life Center board (next to the main bulletin board) or you can call Jeannine Van Nostrand at 703-981-1404. This is a chance to bring hope and healing to so many in need!St. Mark's Life Center: The Life Center is sponsoring a Senior Luncheon on May 24th, from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The theme this year is "Amazing Africa." We will have our usual fun and games, African food, African music, some special African Safari Animals, and Beverly Clemsen will give a short talk about her recent trip to Africa. Bring a friend and your sense for adventure!Kitchen Etiquette at St. Mark's: Learn more here>>
* * SAVE THE DATE * *
Sunday, April 30, Congregation Spring Program Meeting ... and Lunch Youth Fundraiser! 12:00 Noon ... A short business meeting leads the agenda, as it is necessary for the Congregation to consider, for a second vote, amendments that were proposed and approved for the Constitution last Fall. We must also mote on two members for the Nominating Committee, and we must select five laypersons to attend the Synod Assembly in June. ~ Paul Palm, Congregation President
<< Click HERE for the April 10th Congregation Council meeting notes.>>Wednesday, May 3, Combined Meeting of the Women of the ELCA ... 7:30 PM, Fellowship Hall. All women of St. Mark's are welcome and bring a friend! Short business meeting to elect a Vice President and a Secretary, followed by a short sing-along and a game. The project is donations for LSS/NCA and we will complete a service project of assembling Personal Care Kits for LWR.
<< Click HERE for more information. >>
Click HERE, print and fill out the GIFTS FOR MINISTRY form, then bring it to the office the next time you are at church.
* * * * *
MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAYChurch Office hours 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM [Click here for specific info]TUESDAY, APRIL 256:00 AM to 6:30 AM in the sanctuary
- Prayer Group (every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)9:30 AM to 2:00 PM in the Friendship House
- Quilts and More (every Tuesday)6:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall
- Food for Others (every Tuesday)6:30 PM to 7:00 PM [Registration, Books $10]
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in Rooms 214, 216, 217
- ESOL (every Tuesday)7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the church Lounge
- Listening for God: Reading Together the Acts of the Apostles (every Tuesday evening)WEDNESDAY, APRIL 267:30 AM in Church Lounge
- Men's Wednesday Morning Breakfast Group (every Wednesday)10:00 AM to 2:00 PM in Friendship House
- Quilts and More (every third Wednesday)6:30 PM to 7:00 PM [Registration, Books $10]
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in Rooms 214, 216, 217
- ESOL (every Wednesday)THURSDAY, APRIL 276:00 AM to 6:30 AM in the sanctuary
- Prayer Group (every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)10:30 AM to 11:30 PM in the Narthex
- Listening for God: Reading Together the Acts of the Apostles (every Thursday morning)FRIDAY, APRIL 285:00 PM in Room 218
- ESOL (every Friday)6:30 PM in Room 117
- Girl Scouts (every Friday)6:30 PM in the Friendship House with Pastor Varinia
- Tabita circle Bible Study MIELA (every Friday)SATURDAY, APRIL 296:00 AM to 6:30 AM in the sanctuary
- Prayer Group (every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)2:00 PM in the Friendship House/Fellowship Hall
- Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts (every Saturday)5:00 PM to 7:00 PM in Room 218
- ESOL Citizenship Class for our immigrant neighbors who speak basic English (every Saturday5:00 PM in Friendship House
- Men's Bible Study in Spanish (every Saturday)SUNDAY, APRIL 30--MILITARY CARE PACKAGES BETWEEN SERVICES!!!8:30 AM - English Worship Service (Communion)
9:40 AM - English Sunday School
9:46 AM - English Adult Sunday School (Room 217)
11:00 AM - English Worship Service (Communion)
11:00 AM - Youth Hand Bell Choir
11:00 AM - Spanish First Communion Class (Room 214 & 216)
11:30 AM - Spanish Bible Study (Blue Room)
1:00 PM - Spanish Worship Service and Sunday School12:00 NOON in the Fellowship Hall
- Congregation Spring Program Meeting ... and Lunch Youth Fundraiser!8:00 AM to 2:00 PM at Springfield Christian Church, 5407 Backlick Road, Springfield.
- Blood Drive sponsored by The Life Center: There is a signup sheet on The Life Center board (next to the main bulletin board) or you can call Jeannine Van Nostrand at 703-981-1404. This is a chance to bring hope and healing to so many in need!