Fall Worship Schedule: Beginning September 11th, we will again have three services:
English at 8:30 AM and 11:00 AM, and Spanish at 1:00 PM.
Sunday School times: English (children) at 9:45 AM and (adult) at 9:46 AM, Spanish (children) at 1:15 PM.St. Mark's Handbell Ministry: Join one of our handbell ensembles this year and ring to the Lord a new song! To learn about Adult Bells, click HERE! To learn about Youth Bells (grades 6 and up), click HERE! Contact handbell director, Alice Real, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-784-8192 for more information!Next Military Packages Collection: Sunday October 30th... You know they love everything we send, whether it is supplies or goodies, home-made or store-bought--they appreciate that we are thinking of them. Thank you for your always-generous support!St. Michael's Sunday. Learn more here...Fourteen Eight-foot Tables Available. Learn more here...Gulf Coast Flooding. Learn more here... or Donate directly to the Lutheran Disaster Response for the Gulf Coast flooding.>Note from the Metro DC Synod Office: Apartment collapse impacts those with limited resources... Learn more here>Confirmation Mentorship Program. Learn more here... and Click here for mentor qualifications and mentor/student responsibilities.>Changes for St. Mark's Montessori School. Learn more here...ESL has a new acronym--ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)! Learn more here...500th Anniversary of the Reformation! Learn more here...Volunteers are needed to trim and weed the church property (e.g., bell tower, Friendship House, Montessori School, etc.) starting June 1 through September 30. Please contact Alan Eck at 703-569-0814 or email@example.com.Ride-a-Long Ministry: What is a Ride-A-Long Ministry? A ministry that supports mentorship in the youth program between the youth director and the youth when the youth or parents are unable to assist with transportation. See how you can help here>Requests from Lynbrook Elementary School. Learn more about their current needs!Requests from ECHO. Learn more here... Click here for an ECHO 'thank-you' for all who donated and helped with their Back-to-School backpack program!Lutherans at Greenspring Worship. Learn more here...
3rd Quarter Benevolence: Metro DC Companion Synods. Learn more here...
New "Building Use Policy"... See it here! (or find it on the FORMS page)Share warm clothes with "Margret's Kids"... Learn more>Prayer Shawl Ministry: a reminder that prayer shawls are available—knitted and crocheted—to be given as a comfort to anyone in need of such ministry... Learn more>Distribution of communion to those who are ill and homebound; call the church office if you are in need of this service... Learn more>Request for interpreters at Arlington Free Clinic... Learn more>
Updates from our Scouts: Our Boy Scout troop traveled to Charlottesville to perform a service project in partnership with the Albemarle Housing Improvement Program, and to tour the campus of UVA. Click here to learn more about their trip.> Also, our Cub Scout pack attended summer camp at Camp Ross in Goshen, VA. Click here to read two scouts' reflections on their camp experience.>Boy Scout Troop 881's Life Scout Daniel Tran's Eagle Scout project: "The Outdoor Classroom" Learn about Daniel's design, construction, and installation of the Physical Education Trail at the Chincoteague National Wildlife Reserve's Outdoor Classroom... Learn more>
Have news to share with the congregation? Send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be published in the appropriate publication—E-Messenger, This Week, our website, and our Facebook page. Deadline is Tuesday at 3:30 PM, for same-week publishing.
* * SAVE THE DATE * * SAVE THE DATE * *Saturday, October 1, at 3:00 PM on the church lawn on the Backlick Road side--We will hold a Blessing of the Animals service. If weather is inclement, we'll move to the Fellowship Hall. Bring your pets, stuffed pets, or pet photos as we give God thanks for these precious gifts in our lives.Sunday, October 2 and 9, 9:30 AM-10:30 AM-- Next Sunday, October 2, you are invited to the first of two get-acquainted sessions. This one with the pastors, and the following week, October 9, with some members of the congregation, both downstairs in the Green Room off the Fellowship Hall; babysitter provided. New members will be received into the congregation on Reformation Sunday, October 30. Mark your calendars!Sundays, October 16th and 23rd, two-day Mission Fair--Come find out what God is doing at and through St. Mark's! Hear firsthand from our many ministry teams as to what they are doing in God's mission in the world and how they do it. From supporting ministries like finance and council to hands-on practices like Quilts ' More and Food for Others.Sunday, October 23, 4:30 PM in the chancel--Friends & Family Chamber Orchestra, Directed by F. Wayne Taylor.Sunday, October 23--Our Youth-sponsored Oktoberfest will be held in the Fellowship Hall. Brats, potatoes, and lots of fun will be shared as we support our youth and their life-changing ministries.Sunday, October 30, Reformation Sunday--We'll celebrate the 499th anniversary of the Reformation with special music. To help in planning for the exciting 500th Anniversary in 2017, speak with Chris Michaelsen or Pastor Albert.Wednesday, November 2, 7:00 PM--You are invited to our All Saints Day remembrance, Todos Santos, that takes place in many Hispanic/Latino cultures. Bring photos of your ancestors to Pr. Varinia for remembrance on that special day.Sunday, November 20 in the Fellowship Hall--Our Congregational Meeting will be between our 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM services. Lunch will be served by our youth as a fundraiser for our youth ministries.Sunday, November 20, 4:00 PM--24th Annual Burke Area CROP WALK... Learn more at www.burkecropwalk.org.
Click HERE, print and fill out the GIFTS FOR MINISTRY form, then bring it to the office the next time you are at church.
* * * * *MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAYChurch Office hours 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM [Click here for specific info]
Join the staff in Gathering for Prayer, Singing, and Devotions every day at 12:00 noon in the lounge.Start each morning in conversation with God and each other with Morning Prayer from 5:30-6:00AM or 6:00-6:30AM in the church.THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 2910:30 AM to 11:30 AM in the narthex
- Listening for God: Reading Together the Gospel
According to Luke (every Thursday morning)FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 306:30 PM in the narthex
- Tabita Circle (every Friday)SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM in Fellowship Hall
- Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts (every Saturday)3:00 PM on the church lawn (or if it rains, in the Fellowship Hall)
- Blessing of the Animals service5:00 PM to 7:00 PM in Room 216
- ESL Citizenship Class for our immigrant neighbors who speak basic English (every Saturday)SUNDAY, OCTOBER 29:30 AM-10:30 AM in the Green Room
- Get-acquainted sessions for visitors8:30 AM – English Worship Service
9:45 AM – English Sunday School (children), Youth Group, Confirmation Class
9:46 AM – The 9:46 Crowd (English adult SS)
11:00 AM – English Worship Service
1:00 PM – Spanish Worship Service
1:15 PM – Spanish Sunday School (children)TUESDAY, OCTOBER 410:00 AM in the church Lounge
- Lydia/Ruth Circle (every first Tuesday), Jan Barnes, hostess9:30 AM to 2:00 PM in the Friendship House
- Quilts and More (every Tuesday)6:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall
- Food for Others (every Tuesday)6:30 PM to 7:00 PM [Registration, Books $10]
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in Rooms 214, 216, 217
- ESOL (every Tuesday)7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the church Lounge
- Listening for God: Reading Together the Gospel According to Luke (every Tuesday evening)WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 57:30 AM in Church Lounge
- Men's Wednesday Morning Breakfast Group (every Wednesday)9:30 AM at the Friendship House
- Esther Circle (every first Wednesday), Joan Enerson, hostess6:30 PM to 7:00 PM [Registration $5, Books $15-20]
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in Rooms 214, 216, 217
- ESOL (every Wednesday)7:30 PM at Mary Palm's
- Deborah Circle (every first Wednesday), Mary Palm, hostess* * * SAVE THE DATE! * * *Sunday, October 2 and 9, 9:30 AM-10:30 AM in the Green Room--Get-acquainted sessions for visitorsSundays, October 16th and 23rd, two-day Mission Fair in the Fellowship Hall--Two-day Mission FairSunday, October 23, 4:30 PM in the chancel--Friends & Family Chamber Orchestra, Directed by F. Wayne TaylorSunday, October 23 in the Fellowship Hall--Our Youth-sponsored OktoberfestSunday, October 30, Reformation Sunday--499th Anniversary of the ReformationWednesday, November 2, 7:00 PM--All Saints Day remembrance, Todos Santos,Sunday, November 20, between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM services, in the Fellowship Hall--Congregational MeetingSunday, November 20, 4:00 PM--24th Annual Burke Area CROP Walk