Fall Worship Schedule: We again have three services:
English at 8:30 AM and 11:00 AM, and Spanish at 1:00 PM.
Sunday School times: English (children) at 9:45 AM and (adult) at 9:46 AM, Spanish (children) at 1:15 PM.Youth 2016 White House Ornament Sale: Through December 18th, our St. Mark's Youth are selling the ornament, which celebrates President Herbert Hoover and is inspired by the fire engines that responded to the 1929 Christmas Eve fire at the White House. Please visit the table in the Narthex and help support our Youth programs.Help needed--Food for Others on November 8th: We are looking for a driver for Tuesday, November 8th, to pick up the food from the Food for Others Warehouse in Merrifield at 5:00 PM and to drop it off at St. Mark's Fellowship Hall. Our regular driver is away that day and can't find a sub. Contact Nan or Debbie by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.Help stock ECHO's food pantry in October: During October, St. Mark's is again asked to help keep ECHO's food pantry stocked. Pick up a bag in the narthex or at the ECHO table during the Stewardship Mission Fair, and bring it to church the next Sunday - or just pick up a list of needs and bring your own bag.St. Mark's Life Center #1: Have you been putting off starting an exercise program? Would you like the convenience of having one here at St. Mark's? The Life Center would like to sponsor a fitness class of some sort. If you are interested, contact Jeannine Van Nostrand at 703-981-1404 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave your name and contact information on the sign-up sheet on the Life Center bulletin board.St. Mark's Life Center #2: Party Planner needed! The Life Center will be sponsoring another Senior Luncheon in the near future. If you would like to help in the planning, please contact Jeannine Van Nostrand at 703-981-1404 or email@example.com, or leave your name and contact information on the sign-up sheet on the Life Center bulletin board.St. Mark's Handbell Ministry: Join one of our handbell ensembles this year and ring to the Lord a new song! To learn about Adult Bells, click HERE! To learn about Youth Bells (grades 6 and up), click HERE! Contact handbell director, Alice Real, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-784-8192 for more information!Next Military Packages Collection: Sunday October 30th... We have a recipient for October--Alice Haupt gave us the suggestion of Peter Kim, who is deployed in Afghanistan. We just got his name, so we have not received specific info from him yet, but they usually mention food and hygiene items--we will keep you posted regarding any requests, but you know all your usual wonderful goodies and supplies will be most appreciated, as always!We can always use another name--repeat names are fine. Thank you for your always-generous support!Fourteen Eight-foot Tables Available. Learn more here...Gulf Coast Flooding. Learn more here... or Donate directly to the Lutheran Disaster Response for the Gulf Coast flooding.>Note from the Metro DC Synod Office: Apartment collapse impacts those with limited resources... Learn more here>Confirmation Mentorship Program. Learn more here... and Click here for mentor qualifications and mentor/student responsibilities.>Changes for St. Mark's Montessori School. Learn more here...ESL has a new acronym--ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)! Learn more here...500th Anniversary of the Reformation! Learn more here...Volunteers are needed to trim and weed the church property (e.g., bell tower, Friendship House, Montessori School, etc.) starting June 1 through September 30. Please contact Alan Eck at 703-569-0814 or email@example.com.Ride-a-Long Ministry: What is a Ride-A-Long Ministry? A ministry that supports mentorship in the youth program between the youth director and the youth when the youth or parents are unable to assist with transportation. See how you can help here>Requests from Lynbrook Elementary School. Learn more about their current needs!Requests from ECHO. Learn more here... Click here for an ECHO 'thank-you' for all who donated and helped with their Back-to-School backpack program!Lutherans at Greenspring Worship. Learn more here...
3rd Quarter Benevolence: Metro DC Companion Synods. Learn more here...
New "Building Use Policy"... See it here! (or find it on the FORMS page)Share warm clothes with "Margret's Kids"... Learn more>Prayer Shawl Ministry: a reminder that prayer shawls are available—knitted and crocheted—to be given as a comfort to anyone in need of such ministry... Learn more>Distribution of communion to those who are ill and homebound; call the church office if you are in need of this service... Learn more>Request for interpreters at Arlington Free Clinic... Learn more>
Updates from our Scouts: Our Boy Scout troop traveled to Charlottesville to perform a service project in partnership with the Albemarle Housing Improvement Program, and to tour the campus of UVA. Click here to learn more about their trip.> Also, our Cub Scout pack attended summer camp at Camp Ross in Goshen, VA. Click here to read two scouts' reflections on their camp experience.>Boy Scout Troop 881's Life Scout Daniel Tran's Eagle Scout project: "The Outdoor Classroom" Learn about Daniel's design, construction, and installation of the Physical Education Trail at the Chincoteague National Wildlife Reserve's Outdoor Classroom... Learn more> Daniel sends a big THANK YOU! to St. Mark's for their help HERE!!!
Have news to share with the congregation? Send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be published in the appropriate publication—E-Messenger, This Week, our website, and our Facebook page. Deadline is Tuesday at 3:30 PM, for same-week publishing.
* * SAVE THE DATE * * SAVE THE DATE * *Wednesday, November 2, 7:00 PM--You are invited to our All Saints Day remembrance, Todos Santos, that takes place in many Hispanic/Latino cultures. Bring photos of your ancestors to Pr. Varinia for remembrance on that special day.Sunday, November 6 in the Fellowship Hall--Our annual Holiday Bazaar will be between all our services. Learn more here>Sunday, November 20 in the Fellowship Hall--Our Congregational Meeting will be between our 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM services. Lunch will be served by our youth as a fundraiser for our youth ministries.Sunday, November 20, 4:00 PM--24th Annual Burke Area CROP WALK... Learn more at www.burkecropwalk.org.
Click HERE, print and fill out the GIFTS FOR MINISTRY form, then bring it to the office the next time you are at church.
* * * * *MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAYChurch Office hours 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM [Click here for specific info]
Join the staff in Gathering for Prayer, Singing, and Devotions every day at 12:00 noon in the lounge.Start each morning in conversation with God and each other with Morning Prayer from 5:30-6:00AM or 6:00-6:30AM in the church.TUESDAY, OCTOBER 259:30 AM to 2:00 PM in the Friendship House
- Quilts and More (every Tuesday)6:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall
- Food for Others (every Tuesday)6:30 PM to 7:00 PM [Registration, Books $10]
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in Rooms 214, 216, 217
- ESOL (every Tuesday)7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the church Lounge
- Listening for God: Reading Together the Gospel According to Luke (every Tuesday evening)WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 267:30 AM in Church Lounge
- Men's Wednesday Morning Breakfast Group (every Wednesday)6:30 PM to 7:00 PM [Registration $5, Books $15-20]
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in Rooms 214, 216, 217
- ESOL (every Wednesday)THURSDAY, OCTOBER 2710:30 AM to 11:30 AM in the narthex
- Listening for God: Reading Together the Gospel
According to Luke (every Thursday morning)11:00 AM in the chancel
- Funeral Service for charter member Ruth Hellwig, followed by a reception in the Fellowship HallFRIDAY, OCTOBER 286:30 PM in the narthex
- Tabita Circle (every Friday)SATURDAY, OCTOBER 292:00 PM to 4:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall
- Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts (every Saturday)5:00 PM to 7:00 PM in Room 216
- ESL Citizenship Class for our immigrant neighbors who speak basic English (every Saturday)SUNDAY, OCTOBER 30--Reformation Sunday! Military Packages Collection Sunday!
New Members will be welcomed today!8:30 AM – English Worship Service
9:45 AM – English Sunday School (children), Youth Group, Confirmation Class
9:46 AM – The 9:46 Crowd (adult Sunday School)
11:00 AM – English Worship Service
1:00 PM – Spanish Worship Service
1:15 PM – Spanish Sunday School (children)Today is the 499th Anniversary of the Reformation; new members will also be received into the congregation this day. Please say hello and introduce yourself at the narthex reception in their honor.* * * SAVE THE DATE! * * *Wednesday, November 2, 7:00 PM--All Saints Day remembrance, Todos SantosSunday, November 6, between all services--Holiday Bazaar--Learn more here>Sunday, November 20, between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM services, in the Fellowship Hall--Congregational MeetingSunday, November 20, 4:00 PM--24th Annual Burke Area CROP Walk