Fall/Winter Worship Schedule: We again have three services:
English at 8:30 AM and 11:00 AM, and Spanish at 1:00 PM.
Sunday School times: English (children) at 9:45 AM and (adult) at 9:46 AM, Spanish (children) at 1:15 PM.Adults! Join The 9:46 Crowd! Our adult Sunday School class meets from 9:46 AM to 10:40 AM in Room 214. Join us as we begin our year of celebration of the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation. We just began a study of some of the key reformers, beginning with John Wycliffe from the 1300s. The "Reformation Overview" series consists of six short films followed by discussion. On December 4th, John Hus is our topic. "Old" information can bring "new" understanding!Military Packages Collection: On the last Sunday of each month, we collect and mail home-baked goodies and requested items to our recipients, who are US servicemen stationed overseas in remote areas. Names of recipients are needed! Thank you for your always generous support! Click HERE to read more about them and for a THANK YOU from our last recipient!Help Keep Our Church Home and Contents Safe: Please remember to check and lock doors, especially if you're the last one out. So many of us use the church property all week and often at odd hours... it's sometimes hard to know if we should lock doors we find open. Please take a moment to see if you are the last chance for a door to get locked and provide safety and peace of mind that our church home is protected. Thanks from the Property Committee!Extra Halloween Candy? It seems we all have extra candy in the house after Halloween, whether we are the parents of trick-or-treaters or people who give to those who ring our doorbells. This year, you can give yours to St. Mark's to help fill our pinata for this year's Las Posadas in December or to support our Military Packages Collections. Bins will be placed in the narthex for you to leave your extra treats behind! Thank you for your support!2017 Flower Dedication Requests: Click HERE to download the 2017 Flower Dedication Requests form. Print it, fill it out, and return it with your check payable to St. Mark's Altar Guild for the total of your $20-per-dedication requests to Patti Carlson or the church office by December 15th.Youth 2016 White House Ornament Sale: Through December 18th, our St. Mark's Youth are selling the ornament, which celebrates President Herbert Hoover and is inspired by the fire engines that responded to the 1929 Christmas Eve fire at the White House. Please visit the table in the Narthex and help support our Youth programs.Christmas Food Baskets for ECHO's clients and current needs: It is now time to think about Christmas food baskets to ECHO clients as well as other Christmas gifts. Learn more here on providing a Christmas food basket to ECHO clients and ECHO's current needs...St. Mark's Life Center: 1) Have you been putting off starting an exercise program? Would you like the convenience of having one here at St. Mark's? The Life Center would like to sponsor a fitness class of some sort. AND 2) Party Planner needed in the near future to help in planning for another Senior Luncheon sponsored by The Life Center.
If you are interested in either of these activities, contact Jeannine Van Nostrand at 703-981-1404 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave your name and contact information on the sign-up sheet on the Life Center bulletin board.St. Mark's Handbell Ministry: Join one of our handbell ensembles this year and ring to the Lord a new song! To learn about Adult Bells, click HERE! To learn about Youth Bells (grades 6 and up), click HERE! Contact handbell director, Alice Real, at email@example.com or 757-784-8192 for more information!500th Anniversary of the Reformation... we have a committee! Learn more here...Confirmation Mentorship Program. Learn more here... and Click here for mentor qualifications and mentor/student responsibilities.>Changes for St. Mark's Montessori School. Learn more here...ESL has a new acronym--ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)! Learn more here...Ride-a-Long Ministry: What is a Ride-A-Long Ministry? A ministry that supports mentorship in the youth program between the youth director and the youth when the youth or parents are unable to assist with transportation. See how you can help here>Requests from Lynbrook Elementary School. Learn more about their current needs!Requests from ECHO. Learn more here...Lutherans at Greenspring Worship. Learn more here...4th Quarter Benevolence: ELCA World Hunger is designated as our 4th quarter benevolence. Please use the supplementary offering envelopes in the pew racks and give generously! Learn more here>New "Building Use Policy"... See it here! (or find it on the FORMS page)
Share warm clothes with "Margret's Kids"... Learn more>Prayer Shawl Ministry: a reminder that prayer shawls are available--knitted and crocheted--to be given as a comfort to anyone in need of such ministry... Learn more>
Distribution of communion to those who are ill and homebound... calll the church office if you are in need of this service... Learn more>Request for interpreters at Arlington Free Clinic... Learn more>Boy Scout Troop 881's Life Scout Daniel Tran's Eagle Scout project: "The Outdoor Classroom" Learn about Daniel's design, construction, and installation of the Physical Education Trail at the Chincoteague National Wildlife Reserve's Outdoor Classroom... Learn more> Daniel sends a big THANK YOU! to St. Mark's for their help HERE!!!
Have news to share with the congregation? Send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be published in the appropriate publication—E-Messenger, This Week, our website, and our Facebook page. Deadline is Tuesday at 3:30 PM, for same-week publishing.
* * SAVE THE DATE * * SAVE THE DATE * *Saturday, December 3 on the church grounds--Winter Grounds Clean-up (church, Friendship House, parsonage) Learn more here>Saturday, December 3 at church--The Northern Virginia Chorale presents Holiday Delights at St. Mark's; they will be joined by NVCC Annandale Chorale. Learn more here>Saturday & Sunday, December 10 & 11 YOUTH Service Project in the Fellowship Hall--Saturday, 10 AM to 12 NOON, Making casseroles & brownies; Sunday, 11 AM to 2 PM, Lunch together & delivering casseroles
Click HERE, print and fill out the GIFTS FOR MINISTRY form, then bring it to the office the next time you are at church.
* * * * *MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAYChurch Office hours 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM [Click here for specific info]THURSDAY, DECEMBER 110:30 AM to 11:30 AM in the narthex
- Listening for God: Reading Together the Gospel According to Luke (every Thursday morning)FRIDAY, DECEMBER 2
5:30 PM in Room 218
- ESOL (every Friday)
6:30 PM in Room 117
- Girl Scouts (every Friday)
6:30 PM in the Friendship House with Pastor Varinia
- Tabita circle MIELA Bible Study (every Friday)SATURDAY, DECEMBER 36:00 AM to 6:30 AM in the sanctuary
- Prayer Group (every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)8:00 PM to 12:00 NOON at church
- Winter Grounds Clean-up (church, Friendship House, parsonage) Learn more here>2:00 PM in the church lounge
- Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts (every Saturday)2:00 PM to 4:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall
- Children's Christmas Play Rehearsal (Spanish) (every Saturday)5:00 PM to 7:00 PM in Room 216
- ESL Citizenship Class for our immigrant neighbors who speak basic English (every Saturday)7:30 PM in the sanctuary
- The Northern Virginia Chorale presents Holiday Delights at St. Mark's; they will be joined by NVCC Annandale Chorale. Adult tickets are $15 in advance or $20 at the door... Learn more here>SUNDAY, DECEMBER 48:30 AM – English Worship Service
9:45 AM – English Sunday School (children), Youth Group, Confirmation Class
9:46 AM – The 9:46 Crowd (adult Sunday School)
11:00 AM – English Worship Service
1:00 PM – Spanish Worship Service
1:15 PM – Spanish Sunday School (children)If you've not already done so, place your yellow commitment cards in the offering plate... consider E-giving! Learn more here>TUESDAY, DECEMBER 66:00 AM to 6:30 AM in the sanctuary
- Prayer Group (every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)9:30 AM to 2:00 PM in the Friendship House
- Quilts and More (every Tuesday)6:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall
- Food for Others (every Tuesday)6:30 PM to 7:00 PM [Registration, Books $10]
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in Rooms 214, 216, 217
- ESOL (every Tuesday)7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the church Lounge
- Listening for God: Reading Together the Gospel According to Luke (every Tuesday evening)WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 77:30 AM in Church Lounge
- Men's Wednesday Morning Breakfast Group (every Wednesday)10:30 AM in Church sanctuary
- Morning Prayer (every Wednesday in Advent)6:30 PM to 7:00 PM [Registration $5, Books $15-20]
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in Rooms 214, 216, 217
- ESOL (every Wednesday)6:30 PM in Church Lounge [Soup Supper]
7:30 PM in Church Sanctuary
- Holden Evening Prayer (every Wednesday in Advent)8:00 PM in Fellowship Hall (following the Advent service)
- Women of the ELCA "A Taste of St. Mark's II" All women of St. Mark's are welcome--and bring a friend! Learn more here>* * * SAVE THE DATE! * * *Saturday, December 10, 10:00 AM to 12:00 NOON--YOUTH Service Project (7th-12th Grade) in Fellowship Hall: Making casseroles & browniesSunday, December 11, 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM--YOUTH Service Project (7th-12th Grade) in Fellowship Hall: Lunch together & delivering casseroles